Our View From Up Here


Saturday, November 3, 2012

Back in 2010


There are so many things to say about this picture. You may start with the obvious-- my parents are married. Little Kyla is only one year old. Some of us are heavier, some are thinner...

This picture was taken two years ago. November 2010. It is in the basement of my house. Greg and I had just bought this house the month prior, having moved from Pella. I wanted to be closer to my family. To teach Kyla what a normal family was like-- Spending time together on the weekends, getting spoiled by grandparents, being home for the holidays...
My friend, Tina, took this picture. She was the one person I knew who would drop everything on a Sunday afternoon to do us a favor. And, no doubt, she could get Kyla to smile. She died in February...
I must have just been pregnant with Nolan here, but didn't know it yet...
This picture was hanging in everyone's kitchen (Merry Christmas (from the happy, smiling Walenburgs)) when my dad walked out on my mom. It never did surprise me that he left. What shocked me is that he never went back.
I am not suprised either, that my mom has changed. What shocks me is that she is no longer the person that she was in this picture.

This is the last picture that I will have of my family, and it saddens me that Nolan (technically) isn't in it.
Although one might hate this picture, as a reminder of how things have turned out, it means a lot to me. The memories.
We had a lot of fun- games, dinner nights, family trips, pictures, jokes.
We've all been forced to move on, to suck it up and make the best of a crappy situation. And, so we do. But, I think of this often... how things were... in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment