Our View From Up Here


Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Owie!


Well, I broke my wrist!
On Friday night, we had a fun night with a group of coworkers, dancing, having some wine, and doing Zumba! I have a chronically "bad" knee, which dislocates after too much stress on it.
After doing Zumba for almost an hour, my knee went out and I fell. (this happens to me every month or two) But this time, I nearly passed out after I got off the floor to stretch my knee out. I soon realized that it was my right wrist that hurt!
I just assumed it was a sprain, and didn't want to be a baby, so I hung out for another hour or so, then headed home. Greg wrapped my wrist and I iced it.
The next morning, Greg had gone to work, and I couldn't do anything without swearing or crying. So, I called my wonderful friend, Katy to come watch the kids while I went to Acute Care.
After some xrays, I was diagnosed with a non-displaced scaphoid fracture and send home with a wrist brace. I was told to go to the orthopedic walk-in clinic on Monday.
So, I went to work on Monday, and after I took care of all my patients, I headed across the street of the hospital to orthopedics. The PA put a gigantic splint on my arm (as seen in the photo, which Kyla took) to make sure I have no use of my thumb, and told me to come back in one week to see the doctor and put a cast on.
I got quite depressed about the cast thing. It's hard to take care of the kids, and myself, really. I'll need to go in to the orthopedic clinic every two weeks to be sure my bone is healing. It can be a really slow-healing bone, apparently. Another thing I was upset about was the bills that will come from an injury (we're still paying Sanford for the birth of Nolan!)
I continue to work, although my arm gets sore after using it all day. And life is a bit difficult without any use of my right thumb! Frustrating, but not much I can do about it!
Day by day. This too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment