Our View From Up Here


Saturday, December 13, 2014

Give

I definitely have a little seasonal depression.  It might be the colder weather, it might be the impending holidays...  I haven't exercised in a month, my house is messy, and my motivation is limited. 
I am a people-pleaser, and I can't help but wonder if that is why I struggle a little.  If someone else is stressed, it stresses me.  I want everything to be perfect for everyone at Christmas.  Unfortunately, life isn't perfect, but yet, I've always been a "cup half-full" person.  So, let's look at the positives!

Today, my cup feels quite full.  Greg and I were able to serve at the Banquet this morning (a local food-kitchen-type ministry).  I left feeling blessed, and my heart was a little lighter.  Afterwards, I did some Christmas shopping at locally-owned businesses.  It felt good to buy for others while supporting others.  I also visited my mom today, helping her with some minor things, and I talked to my dad on the phone.  Lastly, I spent the evening with my kiddos.

I don't list all these things looking for a pat on the back, but rather a reminder that "giving" can come in many different forms: service, support, time, caring.  And the true blessing of giving is the feeling you are left with: a mixture of satisfaction, happiness and humbleness.  As the chaos of Christmas parties, programs, and presents begin, I am so grateful to be able to do just this: Give.

No comments:

Post a Comment